Monday, October 26, 2009

Boot Camp with Bhernee

I am at day 18 post-op. Every day I am amazed that I see improvement....not just a little improvement, but things are progressing much faster than I had anticipated. I have been hobbling around the house without assistance, but I do have a cane to use if I get tired. Everything is easier now, except I still am not allowed to bend over beyond 90 degrees, which makes tying my left shoe a challenge (left-handed behind me). Aside from that, I'm good.

I had PT today, so I warmed up a little in the gym on the NuStep recumbent. It feels pretty good, but I'm anxious to move on to "real" machines. 15 minutes on the bike and I was off to visit Bhernee.

Bhernee was a drill sergeant in a previous life. Despite her denial, I'm sure of it. She took my cane away and had me walk up and down full flights of stairs...and not just once....twice.  Then she made me do lunges (OH my, what's that? A glute?)...and wall squats (hold it for the count of 10!)....and squats with a ball between my knees (SQUEEZE that ball!) ...and step-ups (front, back, side...both legs). Even though she tried to encourage me with "OH, you're doing so well!!", I felt if I didn't try to get out of there quickly I would be doing push-ups and wall climbing. Perhaps it was the glistening (a.k.a. sweat) on my face and neck that convinced her to take mercy on me...who knows....but she said I had done enough for today and allowed me to recline with a nice ice pack. 


Ahhhh....the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment