Wednesday, September 16, 2009

September 16, Part One


I never realized the similarities between a group of five-year-olds and a group of over-seventy-year-olds. Both groups interrupt the speaker (or teacher) by speaking out of turn, they try to out-do each other ("Oh yeah? well this is my THIRD joint replacement don'tcha know!"), they have to use the restroom often, and they need to ask their Mom/Daughter before they make decisions. One can sense they are overwhelmed. That's my Aunt Emma in the pic. Doesn't she look like the Hallmark icon "Maxine"? hahahaha.... (she died last year at 100 years old, so I can say that about her now. Can't I?) The little guy is Cole. He's my step-grandson. He wears blue moon ice cream very well.

      I was listening intently to the medicare/nursing home part of today's hip/knee clinic wondering how and why I ended up here. It is what it is, I guess. It's something I need to do and regardless of the fact I represent a different generation than most of my 'classmates', we obviously all have the same goal in mind. After class, the RN/instructor announced that she will take the first four people over to the lab, as they can only check in a few patients at a time. The rush for the door was like being first in line for recess. I brought up the rear.

My lab work is done. I have tiny veins and am always grateful when the lab tech can get the job done first try. I also had an EKG. What I need now is a nap. But...alas...off to the doc.

No comments:

Post a Comment